|I. Guide to Library Rules & Services
LOANS & RENEWALS
- 3-week loans: books, magazines, all sound recordings, Internet hot spots, Roku, puzzles, and TV series on DVD
- 7-day loans: DVDs (except TV series) and the telescope
- All items that belong to the Medway Library can be renewed 2 times. Items borrowed from other libraries through inter-library loan can be renewed 1 time. However, if there is a hold on an item, it cannot be renewed.
- Renewals can be done in the Library, over the telephone, or online through the Minuteman Library Network (use your library card number to create an online account).
- All overdue items that are checked out in Medway are now fine free
- Lost passes for museums, zoos, parks, etc.: $10.00 replacement charge
- Lost book or other library material: current retail price of the item
- Damaged materials: cost to be determined based on extent of damage
- Color or black & white computer printouts: $0.10 per page
- Black & white photocopies: $0.10 per page
- Faxes: $0.10 per fax
- Poster-size printouts: $2.00 per poster
- 3-D printing: $0.05 per gram
- Lamination: $0.25 for paper equal to or smaller than 8.5 x 11 inches; and $1.00 for paper larger than 8.5 x 11 inches
EMAIL NOTICES: Let us email notices about requested and overdue items to you. If you read mail regularly, give us your email address to save time and trees.
- Patrons cannot carry a balance of more than $10 unpaid charges for printing and faxing. If the balance is more than $10, the patron cannot print or fax until the balance is lowered to $10 or below.
REQUESTS: You may request items that are out or not owned by us. We will email or call you when they come in. Please pick items promptly within 7 days.
MEDWAY LIBRARY OUTREACH: This free program serves homebound Medway residents of retirement or nursing facilities, as well as individual homebound Medway residents of all ages. A librarian will coordinate the delivery of books and other circulating library items. Monthly, bi-weekly, or weekly delivery schedules will be arranged for participants. Call the Library: 508-533-3217.
PUBLIC COMPUTER WORKSTATIONS
We offer several public accessible computers that provide:
WiFi ACCESS: The Library provides free wireless access for use with patron laptops and other devices.
- Office Applications: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher
- Internet access.
- Catalog ONLY terminals that allow item searching, requests and even online fine payment.
II. Computer Use and Public Internet Access (approved 12/4/2018, amended 5/7/19 and 6/11/19)
In keeping with its mission and with advances in information technology, Medway Public Library provides the community with access to the Internet to enhance the Library's existing collection and to provide access to resources available only on the Internet. These resources include information from a wide variety of government, academic, cultural, scientific, educational, business and recreational sources.
The Library has no control over the information accessed and cannot guarantee the content, timeliness, and accuracy of Internet resources beyond those listed on the Medway Public Library web site.
The Library does not filter access to the Internet. Parents or guardians, not the Library staff, are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children. Parents are encouraged to supervise their children's Internet sessions.
The Library is not responsible for any loss or damages resulting from use of the Library's computers or the Library's connection to the Internet, nor can it guarantee privacy of any Internet sessions.
The Medway Public Library reserves the right to suspend a patron's privilege to use the Internet due to illegal or unethical use of the Internet or for any violation of policy or rules for use.
Rules for Use: By using a public Internet workstation at the Medway Public Library, you agree to the following guidelines.
Printing is available for a fee.
Downloading: Users must provide their own storage devices.
Assistance: Library staff members are available to assist users in finding resources, but are not able to provide in-depth Internet instruction.
Illegal, unethical or abusive use of the Internet is not permitted. Such use includes, but is not limited to:
Patrons may not access, display, distribute, or print images or graphics of obscene or pornographic materials or material that violates laws relating to child pornography (including but not limited to Mass. G.L. c. 272, §§29A, 29B, 29C), or laws relating to possession and/or distribution of obscene material or material “harmful to minors” (including but not limited to Mass. G.L. c. 272, §29) while using Library workstations or using the Internet connection. For purposes of this policy, a matter is defined as “obscene” and/or “harmful to minors” in accordance with Mass. G.L. c. 272, §31.
- transmitting or displaying obscene, harassing or threatening material or messages
- violation of copyright or licensing agreements
- violation of another user's privacy
- representing yourself as someone else
- distributing chain letters or computer viruses
- interfering with or harassing other users either in person or online
- unauthorized access to the Library's network or computer systems or to any other network or computer system.
Violation of this policy may result in loss of Library privileges.
- Do not install any software onto library computers.
- Do not change any settings on Library-installed software.
- Leave all equipment turned on. If a problem develops, notify a staff member. Do not attempt to make adjustments yourself.
- Group use limits: Only two people may participate in a session at one time, unless prior permission to hold a group session has been obtained.
For more information about child online safety, go to:
IV. Program Registration Policy (Medway Board of Library Trustees Approved 7/3/2012)
All free programs held by Medway Public Library are open to the public. Advance-registration programs with limited capacity will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Cancellation policy - (Medway Board of Trustees Approved 10/2/2018)
For programs that require advanced registration, a patron who registers and cannot attend should contact the Library via phone or email at email@example.com as soon as possible so that another patron can use that spot.
If a patron has 3 no-shows over a period of 3 months for programs that require pre-registration, the patron will be put on the bottom of the waiting list for subsequent programs for the next 6 months. If a patron cannot attend a program previously registered for, and this patron notifies the Library at least 24 hours before the beginning of the program, this will not be considered a no-show.
V. Bulletin Board Policy
It is the policy of the Medway Public Library that the material posted on library bulletin boards be for the benefit of the Medway community, at the discretion of the Director. Information regarding community activitites, events and classes will be given priority. No for-sale flyers, business cards, or hand written notes will be posted. Anything not submitted to the Director for prior approval will be taken down. Items will be removed periodically.
VI. LIBRARY USE POLICY (Medway Board of Trustees Approved 2/6/2019, amended 6/11/19)
The intent of this policy is to ensure a safe and peaceful environment conducive to the use and enjoyment of the Library's resources and services.
Library patrons are expected to behave responsibly and with consideration for other patrons and for the Library staff as well as for Library materials and property.
Patrons who violate any portion of the Library Use Policy may be asked to leave the library for the day, or in some cases, issued a Trespass Notice for an extended period of time depending on the severity of the infraction and the patron's behavior. The Trespass Notice may be appealed to the Medway Library Board of Trustees.
The following guidelines further define appropriate and inappropriate behavior in the Library:
- Speak quietly and limit excess noise
- Limit cell phone use to brief, quiet conversations
- Abusive, harassing, or threatening behavior or language is not allowed
- Viewing and/or transmitting pornographic images is not allowed
- Parents are responsible for the behavior of their children while in the Library
- Refrain from behaviors that interfere with other patrons' enjoyment of the library